oisc logo 150x175

Ryan Immigration can assist you in applying for a Tier 4 student visa or a Short-term study visa.

We can check your documents and provide you with professional advice. You will be invited to register on our platform where we can work together online.

Your dedicated UK immigration adviser will make sure that you will have the best chance of a positive result. Your adviser will also assist you with all of the documents you will require for your visa application. Ryan Immigration will always be there to assist you with any further UK immigration requirements.



Tier 4 (General) Student


The Tier 4 (General) Student category exists under the points based system for students seeking to study at universities, colleges, and other UK educational providers. All international students arriving in the UK and wishing to enter as a Tier 4 (General) Student - must have valid entry clearance. For best results use the Ryan Immigration service. If you will want to extend or prolong your stay we will be available to assist...

Read More


Short-term Study


This category provides for those of you who wish to go to the UK for short-term study purposes, which will be completed within the period of your leave, to a maximum of 6 months or alternatively 11 months. The rules do not make provision for an extension to be granted after entry. Prior entry clearance is not mandatory for non – visa nationals but mandatory for visa nationals. Applications must be made from outside the UK...

Read More


Options Available after a Tier 4 Student Visa


Tier 4 Students have options if they wish to prolong their stay in the United Kingdom. Current or new clients should contact us for the most up-to-date options and advice but we will summarise the important points below.


Tier 2 (General) visa

Known as a work visa for which you will need a Certificate of Sponsorship from a licensed Sponsor (employer). If you have finished your degree you can apply from within the UK, the job must have a skill level of NQF6 or above and pay an appropriate salary. Your new visa would be secured for 3 years but this can be as high as 5 years depending on your employer's willingness to facilitate. Extensions can occur, maximum time under this category is 6 years. Since 2016, a salary of £35,000 is required when applying for permanent residency.

Tier 4 Student visa

Usually, there is an overall time limit of 3 years up to degree level and 5 years for degree level or above. Progression in an academic sense has to be shown or evident when taking on such an option and a new Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) issued.

Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa

Both options of standard Entrepreneur and Graduate Entrepreneur are available. View the relevant section on our website for more information and contact us if you have any questions regarding an application or switching.

Spouse/Partner - British citizen or permanent resident

Living together for a 2 year period is an essential requirement if unmarried. This can be in the UK or abroad and would need to be proved e.g. joint bill or tenancy agreement. 2.5 years is granted initially, and an extension of another 2.5 years is available - during which you can work and/or be self-employed. Settlement can be available after 5 years.

Spouse/Partner - European partner

Less requirements exist for this application in comparison to the above. Government application fees are significantly less and you can work and/or be self-employed. Applications must be made by post but can take some time to get back (3 - 6 months). Have a look in our EU/EEA related section for more information.

Long Residency

10 years of continuous and lawful living in the United Kingdom on various visas may mean you can apply for permanent residency.

On a Dependent Visa

If your Spouse or Partner is currently on a Points Based System visa you can become a dependent on his/her visa. It might be possible for you to obtain a Dependant visa by switching visas inside the UK.



Are you ready to start? Simply contact us or go ahead and fill in a no-obligation and free assessment form.

Student FAQ

How do British Degrees work?

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland undergraduate degrees usually take three years to complete, approximately commencing every September/October and ending in June of any year (four years in Scotland). Sometimes students need or want to do a foundation year which brings them up to a university level of understanding in whatever the required area or subject is e.g. English, research, report writing.  


Masters degrees are usually one year in length but sometimes two. A doctoral degree can take three years or more to complete after your undergraduate, whereby tutor supervision is more prominent than formal lectures. 


What is the structure of the British Higher Education System?

The British system is not unique and is based on a combination of, or a system of - lectures, tutorials, seminars and self-directed study. In the UK (Scotland excluded) you apply for a course of study rather than the American way of applying to an educational institution. You must apply for a particular course or major, in a specific university in the UK.


UK universities present opportunities for students to experience new things through extra-curricular opportunities like: societies, sports clubs and class excursions. Many UK universities and colleges have internships/work experience built into the course, providing students with first-hand experience and knowledge of foreign business ethics, working in a different culture and self-reliance skills.


What is the academic year?

Most university/college academic years are broken up by semesters. Semesters are broken into 2 terms which are roughly 14 - 20 weeks in length and breaks/holidays can vary. 


Assessments and Assessment Method?

The method of assessment varies, as does the timings of these assessments. These are usually disclosed in the course prospectus. Written examinations most commonly occur at the end of the academic year with continuous assessment - through assignments and projects for example, which can occur throughout the year. Yet winter exams can also occur before the break for Christmas.


Assessment methods vary by institution and often by course in the UK. They tend to reflect the UK teaching method and style. Written examinations (at the end of a year or, in some cases, in the final undergraduate year only) are the most common form of study assessment. Continuous assessment, which is a combination of written work, performance and sometimes oral examination are also used frequently. In conclusion, it depends very much on the course and the university selected.


Is there any financial help or funding available to International Students?

What’s paramount here is that you look try after such concerns before you leave your home country. Our best advice would be to initially get in touch with your country’s department of education or equivalent. Eligibility and conditions vary country to country and help can come in the form of grants or loans for example.  


Scholarships exist and are attainable through various governments, organisations, bodies, and institutions. You should do a local search in your home country to see if any departments or organisations can offer you a scholarship. 


Naturally there is much competition for these but if you consider yourself noteworthy you will get the opportunity to present your academic merit as well as research potential. Scholarships and grants for study abroad programs are always very limited. Ryan Immigration can notify you of any applicable and available grants on offer by destination universities in the UK and assist you with these UK university scholarship applications if you are interested.


What happens with a pre-sessional course?

A pre-sessional course is a course to prepare you for your main course of study e.g. intensive English language course. Your CAS must be issued by a UK higher education institution to cover the pre-sessional course of no longer than a 90 day continuous duration. Additional to this you must have an unconditional offer of a place, which is on a course of degree level and at a UK higher education institution. This degree course must commence no later than 1 month after the end of the pre-sessional. 


You must make a separate Tier 4 application for each course and both must satisfy the full criteria of Tier 4 including English language testing requirements (when they apply) and the minimum course level.


What can I do if my grades are insufficient for my desired course? 

Foundation, bridging or preparatory courses exist that may be able to help. These last from 6 months to a year and include for example English, research, report writing and/or specific subjects. These may help to prepare for a degree course and these ‘access’ courses are often offered and validated by the university in which you will attend for your main course. 


Letter of Recommendation or References

Letters of reference or recommendation are particularly important for masters or doctoral degree courses. It is compiled by a person who knows you well in a professional capacity or has taught you in a subject or module related to the course you will apply to or are applying for. Students should get these letters from teachers/lecturers or whomever else is appropriate that knows them personally and is familiar with their student credentials.


How many universities does the UK have?

There is currently around 108 degree-awarding institutions of higher education in the UK, plus over 300 more that offer degrees validated by those institutions.


Will I need a visa?

This depends on your nationality, country of residence and immigration status. 


When should I apply for my visa?

To avoid delay and busy spells, it is best and very important to apply well before your course begins. Ryan Immigration is more than capable of assisting you with your Tier 4 (General) Student or Student Visitor visa application.


What is a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)?

It’s a virtual online document that has a unique reference number which is highly important. It must be obtained from your licensed sponsor. It contains information about both you and your chosen university/college. 


What is a Licensed Sponsor?

The licensed sponsor is the listed and approved education provider that you have decided to enrol with. Only official Tier 4 sponsors can assign a CAS to an international student. If a UK education provider wants to teach international students it must have applied for and obtained this licence. 


English Language level for course and immigration

Your English language requirement will vary by course and institution. With the specific requirement in mind, you will need to show that you meet or exceed the English language criteria by: 


• Belonging to or being a natural citizen of a country where English is the main language spoken or it’s considered majority English speaking.

• You have obtained an academic qualification, UK equivalent bachelor’s degree or higher from an educational establishment in a country where English is the main language spoken. 

• Passing an accepted English language test.


Countries considered majority English speaking:

Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; The Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Ireland; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and The Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago, the UK, the USA.


Length of stay?

If successful with the application you are allowed to stay in the UK for the full length of your course plus a specific period before and after the course. This is dependent on the type and length of your course.


How much maintenance money will I need during my course?

This depends on where you are studying in the UK. 


For one academic year of nine months, for inner London, it is suggested that you would need a minimum of £1000 per month. You would need a minimum of £800 per month for outer London and the rest of the UK. This would be to cover the cost of accommodation, heating, lighting, food, clothing, books and daily travel for example.


Will I be allowed to work while I am studying?

Some students who enter on Tier 4 (General) Student visas are eligible to work a certain amount of hours per week which is extended in the holiday periods:


As a general rule - you can work 20 hours a week if on a course of degree level or higher. Generally, you can work up to 10 hours a week if studying below degree level. Working hours are extended in the holiday periods. If you enter the UK with a Student Visitor visa you are not allowed to work - paid or unpaid. Please ask for precise details if required.


Can I pay for my studies through work?

You need to meet your tuition fees and living costs without having to work whilst in the UK, however, if you make an immigration application in the UK, you can use such earnings from working (through working lawfully and within the restrictions as above) to meet your maintenance requirements. 


Can I do extra studies?

You can do extra studies e.g. evening courses in an unrelated field. Please ask for more details if required.


Can I extend my visa?

When in the UK on your Tier 4 (General) Student visa you can apply to extend your visa if you wish to continue your studies in the UK only if you meet certain requirements. Please ask for more details if required.


Can I bring dependants with me?

Yes indeed you can if you are a new government-sponsored student and your course lasts 6 months or longer. Yes if sponsored by a higher education institution on a course which lasts 12 months or longer at NQF level 7 or above. An application must be made under the rules for Points Based System dependants. Please ask for more details if required.


end faq


oisc logo

Registered Office:
20 - 22 Wenlock Road,
London, N1 7GU
+44 (0) 208 089 9106
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This website uses cookies in order to offer you the most relevant information: Privacy Policy & Cookies